Equipment Covered. This standard relates toadjustable work platforms which are used to elevate personnel,along with their took and necessary mate-rials, to job sitessituated above the device. Such work platforms are verticallyadjustable by any manual or powered means and may beself-propelled, towed, or" manually moved across horizontalsurfaces while being supported by wheels or casters that become anintegral part of the work platform base structure.
Equipment Not Covered. The intent of thisstandard is to exclude any matter relating to:
(1) Vehicle-mounted elevating and rotating work platforms(covered in American National Standard for Vehicle-MountedElevating and Rotating Work Plat-forms, A92.2-1969).
(2) Mobile ladder stands and scaffolds (towers) (covered inAmerican National Standard for Manually Propelled MobileLadder Stands and Scaffolds (Tow-ers), A92.1-1971).
(3) Powered platforms for exterior building mainte-nance(covered in American National Standard Safety Requirements forPowered Platforms for Exterior Building Maintenance,A120.1-1970).
(4) Vertically adjustable platforms used primarily to raise andlower materials or materials-handling equipment, or both, withtheir operating personnel necessary to transfer such materialsbetween varying elevations.
Purpose. The purpose of this standard is toserve as a guide for manufacturers, dealers, and users of workplatforms to achieve the following objectives.
(1) Prevention of personal injuries to users and the public
(2) Uniformity in ratings
(3) Standards of design and manufacture
(4) Standards for testing and inspection
(5) Understanding by manufacturers and dealers of theirrespective responsibilities
Minimum Requirements. The criteria herein are to be consideredminimum requirements.